Silence greets me with a rewarding note!

I meditated this morning and realized there were few if any sounds coming from the street outside my home. Traffic usually provides noise from cars and trucks as motorists make their way along the suburban road in Conshohocken, PA, some 14 miles outside of Philadelphia.

The Corona Virus must have deterred many of the drivers who are busy with their routine rounds. There were hardly any sounds from the tires meeting the road and the buzzing of the cars drifting by. My small borough is like a ghost town with hardly any traffic on the main thoroughfare of Fayette Street. I walk at least two miles a day and see other persons exercising either alone, while walking their dogs or pushing baby carriages. We are all silent until greeting each other with a smile. (Dogs included!)

The absence of noise that greeted me today was amazing. It was different from what I usually experience. It was as pure as can be and fulfilling at the same time. I did nothing but let my senses take in the emptiness. I began to focus on my feet, my ankles, and then my legs as I let my mindfulness travel toward my thighs, my hips, and then onto my buttocks.

——————

I heard a grumbling sound and smiled inwardly as I realized my stomach was trumpeting its need to be fulfilled. My focus slowly made it toward the chest and then my back and I relished in the soothing calm and easiness that permeated my shoulders. They were relaxed, drooping, and resting in the peacefulness my awareness was providing my body, my mind, my very spirit.

silence-

Silence can be golden if we listen to the sound coming from within!

Silence can be golden if we but listen to the sound coming from within!

My scanning stopped as I made my way to my head because I heard a car drive past. One lone car. It was a welcomed sound, one of which I was grateful to hear after placing my radar in the wild blue yonder to listen to anything passing by. The “nothingness” had opened my appreciation of the sense of hearing. I felt blessed. I felt rewarded. I felt one with the soundless nature this experience was offering to me.

This is what meditation is all about I finally realized. Focusing on the moment, the present moment and experiencing it without a thought, a worry, and a concern of anything except for right now.

And as importantly, enjoying that treasured momentย  . . .

Now, letโ€™s get coffee and experience the richness of that moment one mindful moment after another!

For another look at meditation outside my house please see Practice trashed at home.

17 comments on “Silence greets me with a rewarding note!

1. nitinsingh says:

Silence have a great IMPORTANCE in hindu philosophy ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ‘

Liked by 1 person

“Silence is Golden” was one of my favorite songs by a New Jersey group called The Four Seasons . . .

It also resonates among Buddhists and Carmelite nuns who meditate and focus on the “nothingness” that mystics of all ages seem to relate to in most forms of religions and philosophies.

2. contoveros says:

The following comments appeared on Facebook:

Terri Kiral
    Our meditation practice has been preparing us for moments exactly like these. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ

Michael J Contos
    Silence can indeed be Golden!

Liked by 1 person

3. tanayaasingh says:

It’s a time of difficulty and despair for all of us. I love how you’ve put it up so precisely. The intricacies. The thoughts. Everything is so fascinating about this post. ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person

4. It’s fantastic that you are getting thoughts from this
    piece of writing as well as from our discussion made here.

Liked by 1 person

5. Still getting accustomed to the decrease in traffic, trying not to imagine the snowball effect, our connectedness becomes more apparent … at times the morning feels like a it is hushed by new fallen snow โ„๏ธ

Liked by 1 person

6. inhiscare753 says:

Traffic has definitely slowed around here too! There are fewer walkerโ€™s too! The children next door keep things lively when playing outside. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Liked by 1 person

7. I’ve been going out earlier than normal for a bit of fresh air — 6am-ish and that sound of nothingness, of pure silence is both beautiful and haunting. I keep thinking how grateful I am for the quiet, but then I am reminded, when a car does drive by, how grateful I am for that too! What an interesting time this is! Hugs.

Liked by 1 person

I enjoy waving to people and speaking to them as we pass each other by outside. I’m getting to know some of them and feel like we are family. Particularly when the sun is shining all around us!

Liked by 2 people