Put a finger on ‘Sa Ta Na Ma’ Meditation

Got a quick “fix” for you. But, don’t try to finger this “hit” unless you’re alone, or with someone you trust.

It’s what I call a “tactile chant.” Oh, I know what you’re going to say. Here’s more New Age stuff. Another scam for the public. Spiritual babble for a get-rich scheme. But, you’d be wrong. Dead wrong. About something that could enhance your Life!

This chant, guaranteed to calm you down if nothing else, was created thousands of years ago. Some say it enables you to “contact” the Almighty, if the intent is sincere. Those involved with “Kundalini Yoga,” say the “Sat Nam” chant can lower stress and break bad habits, while inspiring new thoughts and aids to the sick. (I pronounce it: “sa ta,’ na ma” for “Sat Nam.”)

The chant is sa ta na ma,” which helps a person tap into a “spiritual source,” practitioners say, where one feels “true” emotions and desires. “Sat Nam,” means to honor truth.”

Marianne, a psychologist friend who meets bi-weekly with our meditation group at the Resiliency Center in Ambler, PA, introduced the chant and showed how to use our fingers. A person in the group newly diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease, saw it as “God-sent,” hoping to start immediately.

The chant works best with eyes closed, but it helps me while driving. [I also practice Mindfulness meditation with eyes wide open in the car, and “tapEFT meridian points while in heavy traffic (Emotional Freedom Technique).]

Assume a comfortable position, rest both of your hands on a stable base (tops of your knees, thighs, bed or chair if you are lying down or reclining. Palms up — you’ll begin with the index finger and the thumb. Say the syllable “sa” as you touch your index finger to your thumb. You will be making the sign of an “O.” “Sa” means “Birth,” according to Marianne. Try it with a long, drawn-out, sound of “a” as in “all.”

Next, say the syllable “ta, while touching the middle finger and thumb. “Ta” means “Life,” Marianne said. This is then followed by “Na,” which means “Death,” and then Marianne’s favorite, “Ma,” meaning “Rebirth.” Touch your ring finger to your thumb while saying “Na,” and your pinky to the thumb in chanting “Ma.”

How long should you chant it? Marianne suggested at least two minutes out loud at first. Next, whisper it making contact with the fingers, and then chant silently until it is done. It worked for me.

For Part II, see

Always Look Within, To Now See Outside

(Also see: healing with sa-ta-na-ma-meditation)
mudras image: © Joe Desy

11 comments on “Put a finger on ‘Sa Ta Na Ma’ Meditation

1. Jeffrey C. Washburn says:

Radio news article stated SA TA MA YA was the chant for brain/memory improvement and
    alshiemers prevention. What is the difference?

Jeffrey,
      I don’t know what ailments the chant might help, but a woman in our mediation group, newly diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease, planned to use this technique.

I haven’t heard about the results, but I would not bet against memory improvement and better concentration following such a practice.

michael j

2. Jessica says:

Please explain what you mean when you say “it worked for me.”
    Thank you.

3. Hmm it seems like your site ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to everything. Do you have any helpful hints for first-time blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate it.

Welcome,

You took the first step already by engaging another person. Good to see you here, and I look forward to visting you at your site . . .

michael j

4. Christina says:

Very cool! Simple yet profound. I’m excited to try it. Thanks for sharing.

I like to try different approaches to meditation. I need the help to reach deeper within.

michael j
      Why not share it with those at Omega Institute in June?

5. viv66 says:

trying it now….

6. Phil says:

Thank you! Excellent. I am trying it now.

Peace,